Day 68: All good things...

Dutch-born Londoner Annemarie Plas who is credited with starting the nationwide applause, of the weekly “clap for carers” has said that next Thursday’s show of support should be the last and I for one totally agree with her. It is of course to be welcomed that key workers, including those for the NHS and social care, are being increasingly valued and most appreciate the clapping, saying that they feel moved and grateful. I for one am pushing for proper recognition of their efforts. However, I have noticed that this weekly event has become a little lack-lustre of late so before it fizzles to nothing Ms Plas is quite right in saying it should ‘end on a high’.

I don’t know about your neighbourhood but certainly in my road several weeks ago when it all started, we were all out smiling at each other and clapping enthusiastically. The following week was even better with pots and pans and the husband even dragged out an old metal dustbin lid to hit. As time has moved on, a well-meaning idea has become a time to stand on your doorstep and tut loudly at that lot down in number 36 who haven’t come out for two weeks and are probably pretending they forgot. There was also the couple who appeared on week one and haven’t been seen since - but maybe they actually got the corona and it occurred to me that if they haven’t been clapping does that mean the nurses won’t treat them? There were others who appeared a few times and then vanished and the more subtle ones who pop out every other week to show willing as if they had other functions to attend the previous week. I’m also sure I saw one person wearing a bandage and pretending they'd strained their wrist with their pan bashing efforts.

Then of course there are those who haven't clapped at all and I can only presume you will only ever go privately but let me tell you that just because you’ve got Bupa and have no interest in the NHS it certainly doesn't make you immune.

Onto something completely different but equally important. Henry is a lovely young man and I see him most days when he goes out for his walk. He always used to be so dapper but lately as have we all, his hair has become quite straggly. Some days it looked quite attractive and when it curled round his ears I thought it was most attractive and his beard was becoming quite long. I bumped into him in the street the other day and I couldn’t help but notice that he is newly shorn, shaved and shampooed and was looking very handsome indeed. I can’t get an appointment. How can he? Henry of course is a dog and is therefore allowed back to his hairdresser 6 weeks before us. I have enquired about the dog groomer doing my hair but I was politely informed that I would have to be tied to a post and if there was anyone else there, rather than wear a mask I would be put in a kennel…I am seriously thinking about it. How bad could it be?

Comments

  1. I need the number of that dog groomer NOW. I’ll even take my own rope and tie myself to the post.
    Xxx

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day 76: Over and out

Day 66: Keeping onself busy